11.01.2005

Time, debris in heavy winds, and airplanes

They all fly. On the way back from picking up my friend J. from Intercontinental airport yesterday, I ran into some of the heaviest rain I've ever had the displeasure to drive in. The winds were crazy, too, before it got too dark to see. There was cyclonic wind activity on the ground and what looked like funnel clouds overhead. But then the rain really started and there was nothing else to see. Going 30 mph on a major highway and still passing people is sort of freaky, but at times I literally couldn't see anything but the tail lights ahead of me: no lines on the road, no sides of the road, nothing that wasn't itself a source of light. I eventually found my way off an exit and stopped at a gas station for about 20 minutes to wait for the worst of it to pass, and for my windows to defog. Neither really worked so well, but I slogged back to the city for over an hour in what should have been a 20 minute trip. That was definitely the least fun I think I've ever had in a car.

And I've just realized just how fast this fall has gone. It's November already. I haven't talked with E. in nearly six weeks. (Can it really be that long? It seems impossible, but forever at the same time.) Thanksgiving is coming up in just over 3 weeks. My arm is still in a sling for 2 more weeks, but the dislocation that started it all was 7 weeks ago. I can't bring myself to care about my research any more, and writing my 2 papers seems impossible. (That has nothing to do with the topic, but needed saying.) The mornings are finally cool, even though it still goes to 75 almost every day. I've been back to Philly once, will go again in 3 weeks, and again less than a month after that. WTF. This has turned into nonsensical spewing. More later.

No comments: