3.23.2007

Quick Lab Update

I'm trying two new experiments this week, both of which will hopefully find their way into my PhD thesis if they're successful. So far, however, my new molecules don't seem to be cooperating. I may need to try a different surface, or it may just be a bad batch. That's the problem at the moment - I can't tell which it is. I suppose it's easier to try a new surface than it is for the synthesis guys to make an entirely new batch of the suckers, but I at least know that there are a bunch of dissociated pieces running around the surface, so some extra filtration to ensure higher purity next time wouldn't hurt.
As it stands now, if both these things work well, I could be writing my thesis in a month. Cross your fingers. I'm trying really hard to be out of here with my defended PhD by August, so the next logical question is - what are you going to do after you graduate? Answer? I have absolutely no idea. I know I don't want to go into academia (at least for now) or government research, and somewhere in industry is where I'm aiming. Can I get a little more broad? Here I feel like I've narrowed it down to a third of my original possibilities, but that still leaves, oh, about a million more to explore.

So if you happen to know of any companies that could benefit from having a nanophysicist around - wait, let me rephrase that. We all know that everyone could benefit from having a nanophysicist around. If you happen to know of any companies that are looking for a nanophysicist, be sure to let me know. Because while my education and experience may be valuable, it's not exactly a plug-and-play situation with potential employers, as it would be for someone in Houston with a masters in geology, or chemical engineering, for example. I'm basically going to have to find a company I want to work for, and then convince them that my strange mix of skills, over-education, and experience is just what they need in some random position - maybe even one that doesn't even exist yet. So that may be a bit challenging. I'm never above accepting a little help in situations like these, so feel free to throw suggestions or ideas my way. I'll ingest and process them as best I can, all the while working frantically to write everything, research everything, and convince everyone I need to graduate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay - my fingers are crossed! Keep us posted...bad batch? new surface? I know I certainly would benefit from having a nanophysicist around!

Archibaldq said...

bad batch. hopefully the synthesis guys can make some more soon so I can graduate. in the meantime, I've got other molecules to work with.