3.14.2007

Motorcycle Repairs: Part 1

Yesterday, using the additional daylight that it's "savings time" allows in the pm, I got to work disassembling my thrashed TL. Step one, removing the ruined tail plastic was supposed to be easy - a few screws and some rubber press-fittings - but the bent tail pipe and can quickly changed that line of thought. In fact, just about everything was a lot harder to remove than I originally thought. Not one, but two bolts sheared off in my attempts to get things apart. The worst one, by far, is actually still in the engine casing - one of two bolts a the head of the first cylinder's exhaust. So now I have to figure out how to remove a lodged bolt fragment before I can even attach the new headers, and that's no easy task. Ugh. Anyone have any ideas?
I've removed the entire tail section - subframe, plastics, tail and turn lights, electronics, battery, exhaust headers, cans, rider pegs, and rearsets - as you can see in the picture. The good news is that nothing important seems damages beyond what I originally thought. I still need to get a new front left turn signal (cheap) a few bolts (cheap) and a pair of exhaust cans (very, very expensive) but I'm confident that I can do the work myself. Now, if I can just figure out how to remove a sheared bolt from the front cylinder casing, I'll be set!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i think you should ride it like that

Anonymous said...

they sell a tool that is basically an awl with a philip's head on it that punches a philip's indentation into sheared bolts.

I'll look for one and get back to you.


...m

Archibaldq said...

yeah, i'd like to be able to ride it like that - just need to replace the foot pegs. only lazy people need seats! the complete lack of an exhaust system, on the other hand, might have the neighbors, and the rest of the city complaining.

and i'd love to find a tool like that - any luck on finding where i can buy it yet? i consulted with the mechanical guru in my building, and he seems to think that i may have to remove my entire engine. egads!

Anonymous said...

How in heaven's name do you even know where to start???