2.21.2007

Tragicomedy

If this weren't my life, and if money weren't such an issue at the moment, the last two days would be pretty damn funny. Unfortunately, it is my life, and I'm still in grad school, so neither of those is true. People I talk to on a regular basis know that I just had my bike in the shop for over a week for various work, though it was moved from "sometime soon" to absolute necessity when I noticed oil spraying out of the right side engine casing and all over the rear tire. Like I said before - recipe for disaster.

I just got my bike back Monday afternoon with nearly $800 worth of work done, including a new rear tire, chain, sprockets, engine cover & gasket, and new oil & a filter. All necessary, but lots more than I was expecting to spend. And I paid in cash. So what happened next?

Last night I wrecked my bike. Thrashed. Washed out the front tire going about 35 mph on my 4th trip in 20 minutes down the same stretch of road next to campus. I'm fine. A little sore, swollen, bruised, and with minimal road rash, but more pissed off than anything. My bike is completely ruined. Repairs would be more than it's worth, and I don't have collision coverage. So, basically, while I couldn't afford full coverage for the past three and a half years I've had the bike, saving a few thousand dollars, I've paid for it in the long run. I no longer have a motorcycle, and won't for the foreseeable future. Fie. What's even remotely comical about the whole thing is that I just dumped a huge amount of money (for a grad student, at least) into the damn thing the day before! "Here's $800, can I go wreck it now?" I'm a freakin' idiot.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, no ,Andrew!!! That's awful, and very scary that you could've been badly hurt....we love you and wish we could do something for you. Love Aunt Kris and Uncle David

Archibaldq said...

Thanks! I'm fine, really - just mad at myself and disappointed I won't get to ride during the best weather of the year. Of course, with all the crazy drivers in Houston, the one wreck I have in four years is my own stupid fault. I'll tell you, though, I'm very glad I was wearing my gear!

Anonymous said...

I'm also glad you were wearing your gear! Hope you're not hurtin' too badly today. So scary how fast these things happen. SO, so happy you're okay! Keep thinking about it.