9.26.2005

Rita and the weekend

As of last Wednedsay evening, everyone was forecasting doom and gloom for Houston, with Rita still a category 5 storm and still projected to make landfall in Galveston bay. Basically this would have been pretty bad for Houston - not New Orleans bad, but certainly not a place you'd want to be. Aaron's flight out on Friday morning was canceled, and he was hell bent on leaving, but I had yet to make up my mind as of Thursday morning. With an invitation out to my ex-girlfriend's parent's weekend place outside San Antonio, I couldn't really not go, since Aaron didn't know how to get there. So we foolishly left at about 10:30 Thursday morning, at the height of the hellish traffic.

13 hours later in a drive that should have only taken about 3.5 hours, we got to the golf resort-ish Tapatio just outside Boerne. We went fishing friday morning and evening, each catching 3 or 4 large mouth bass - cool. But spending time with my ex girlfriend is something I really didn't need, especially since the only thing it cleared up is how much she just doesn't care about our breakup. Whatever. It's still too fresh a wound to really start probing it anyway. Her family is all insanely nice and gracious, and I'll miss stupid little things like fishing with her dad, but it's been nice knowing them.

Saturday morning we decided to leave at about 5:30 to beat the traffic back into Houston, since all reports were that the city missed the brunt of the storm. Indeed, after an uneventful 3h 15m drive back, we found nothing damaged, but were without power till early afternoon. Not a big deal. Rice apparently never lost power, which is amazing since it tends to lose power in even moderate thunderstorms.

In other random news, I got an email from my old roomate Quad Pugh this morning. Apparently he's living in Philadelphia now, but I've yet to get more details about how his town of Lafayette La fared in the two hurricanes.

No comments: